In today’s increasingly digital world, scammers are always finding new ways to exploit technology and prey on unsuspecting individuals. At Richwood Bank, your security is our top priority, and we want to make sure you’re aware of this growing threat and know how to protect yourself.
The Latest Scam: Card Information Theft
The latest tactic employed by these fraudsters is especially concerning. They call unsuspecting individuals and claim to be from their bank, creating a sense of urgency or fear to manipulate their targets. We’ve noticed the majority of these are taking place outside of normal banking hours, making it more difficult for you to verify the caller is the real deal. Scammers then proceed to ask for sensitive information, such as your full card number, expiration date, and CVV code. Once they have this information, they can use it to add your card to their digital wallet and make unauthorized purchases.
To protect yourself from falling victim to these scams, follow these essential tips:
- Never Share Sensitive Information: Under no circumstances should you share your card information, Social Security number, or other sensitive details over the phone unless you initiate the call to a trusted number.
- Verify Caller Identity: If you receive a call from someone claiming to be from your bank, hang up and call the bank’s official customer service number, (888) 943-2317. Verify the authenticity of the call before sharing any information.
- Educate Yourself: Stay informed about the latest scams and tactics used by fraudsters. The more you know, the better you can protect yourself. We’ll share those on our social media page of the Fraud Resources page of the website.
- Use Strong Authentication: Set up strong authentication methods, such as two-factor authentication (2FA), for your accounts. This adds an extra layer of security.
- Report Suspicious Calls: If you receive a spoofed call or suspect fraudulent activity, report it to your bank immediately and to the appropriate authorities.
Take Control of Your Security
Our updated Card Control 2.0 app empowers you to take control of your debit card security. Key features include:
- Turn Cards On and Off: Imagine misplacing your debit card or suspecting it’s been stolen. With Card Control 2.0, you can instantly turn your card on or off, preventing any unauthorized transactions until you locate it or report it lost.
- Customize Controls and Alerts: Tailor your card’s usage to your preferences. Set spending limits, transaction types, and geographic regions where your card can be used. Receive real-time alerts for any card activity, providing you with immediate visibility into your finances.
- Merchant Restrictions: Worried about your card being used at specific types of merchants? You can restrict your card to be accepted only at trusted locations, providing an additional layer of security.
- Travel Plans: Heading out of town? Notify Card Control 2.0 of your travel plans, and it will ensure your card works seamlessly at your destination, reducing the risk of unexpected disruptions while abroad.
- Lost or Stolen Card Assistance: Accidents happen, even with the most careful individuals. If you lose your card or it’s stolen, Card Control 2.0 offers a direct line to us, even during off-hours. Rest easy knowing you’re always connected.
- PIN Management: Need to set or reset your card’s PIN? Card Control 2.0 has you covered. It connects you to our trusted provider, ensuring a seamless process to manage your PIN.
By actively managing and securing your debit card through this app, you’re taking proactive steps to protect your financial well-being. Click here to learn more about Card Control 2.0 or stop by your local branch to discuss it with our team.
Richwood Bank is committed to safeguarding your financial well-being. Remember that we will never initiate a call and ask for your account information because we already have it. Stay vigilant, trust your instincts, and take action to protect yourself from spoofed bank calls and other scams. By staying informed and taking advantage of tools like Card Control 2.0, you can keep your finances secure and avoid falling victim to fraudsters.