Morale is a state of mind that involves feelings and emotions. Created within each employee, it is often considered an elusive quality. It involves the attitude and perception towards the job, work environment, team members, managers and the organization on a whole. Positive employee morale is usually exhibited by confidence, discipline and willingness to perform.
Cultivating positive morale among your employees is one of the most important things an employer can do. Providing incentives and taking the proper steps to make sure your employees are happy in their roles can lead to decreased turnover and increased satisfaction in the workplace.
Here are 15 ways leaders can boost employee morale:
- Good training
- Continuous feedback
- Motivate with your own example
- Communicate expectations
- Involve employees as equal members of your team
- Challenge employees with new opportunities and develop their skills
- Consult employees before implementing policies that will affect them
- Acknowledge and appreciate staff
- Provide adequate tools and staffing levels to get the job done
- Respect team members as individuals and as professionals
- Care about your employees, not just about your business
- Respond to problems, concerns and questions
- Align your business activities with community values
- Be fair about discipline
- Be an effective leader
To read more about each of these, check out the article, “Positive Employee Morale Benefits Your Business”.